Answer is under review.
Advantages and Disadvantages of structured programming
The following are the different advantages of structured programming:
- It is user friendly and easy to understand.
- Similar to English vocabulary of words and symbols.
- It is easier to learn.
- They require less time to write.
- They are easier to maintain.
- These are mainly problem oriented rather than machine based.
- Program written in a higher level language can be translated into many machine languages and therefore can run on any computer for which there exists an appropriate translator.
- It is independent of machine on which it is used i.e. programs developed in high level languages can be run on any computer.
The following are the disadvantages of structured programming:
- A high level language has to be translated into the machine language by translator and thus a price in computer time is paid.
- The object code generated by a translator might be inefficient compared to an equivalent assembly language program.
- Data type are proceeds in many functions in a structured program. When changes occur in those data types, the corresponding change must be made to every location that acts on those data types within the program. This is really a very time consuming task if the program is very large.
- Let us consider the case of software development in which several programmers work as a team on an application. In a structured program, each programmer is assigned to build a specific set of functions and data types. Since different programmers handle separate functions that have mutually shared data type. Other programmers in the team must reflect the changes in data types done by the programmer in data type handled. Otherwise, it requires rewriting several functions.